Flashing flies before your eyes: causes and treatment
Flies flash before people's eyes for a reason. This phenomenon is an ophthalmic symptom in which polymorphic opacities are observed in the visual field. Flies can have different colors and shapes, they can look like elongated threads, small grains, rings, cobwebs. They will be perfectly visible in bright light, as well as when looking at blue and white objects. Flies can flicker in the eyes from time to time, or on an ongoing basis.
As a rule, if the flies are weakly noticeable, then this does not cause concern for the person. He quickly adapts to them and stops paying attention to them. However, there is a chance that over time there will be more of them, as well as they will increase in size. The fact is that such cloudiness is not always a harmless symptom. It may indicate a serious disorder in the body, which should not be ignored. Therefore, when flies appear in front of your eyes, you need to consult a doctor.
Video: "flies" before the eyes: what is it?
- Reasons for the appearance of flies
- Diagnosis of the causes of flies before the eyes
- Treatment of flashing flies before the eyes
- When should you see a doctor?
- Prevention of the appearance of flies before the eyes
Reasons for the appearance of flies
Most often, dots, flashes and spots in the eyes indicate the development of ophthalmic pathology. They can be the result of an eye injury, myopia, eye inflammation, corneal or lens opacity.
Diseases of the vitreous body
The vitreous humor is located behind the lens of the eyeball. Normally, it is transparent, so light rays pass through it unhindered and reach the retina. If any cloudiness forms on it, then flies will begin to flicker in front of the patient's eyes.
Vitreous pathologies can be as follows:
- Hemophthalmos with hemorrhage. It can be provoked by wounds and contusions of the eye, rupture of the retina, vascular pathologies, degenerative changes in the retina.
- Destructive changes occur with aging of the human visual apparatus.
Detachment of the vitreous body. Its beginning is indicated by the appearance of ring-shaped spots in front of the eyes, which do not stand in one place, but move all the time.
At the same time, the patient's vision deteriorates, over time he begins to see worse and worse.
Retinal detachment, retinal rupture or dystrophic changes
If a person has a retinal rupture, then bright flashes, glare and even lightning will appear before his eyes. This symptom is especially pronounced at night.
If the retina peels off, then a dark veil appears in front of the person's eyes.
Dystrophic changes in the retina of the eye are accompanied by flashing flies. In parallel, the patient's visual acuity worsens, his field narrows. Black or light spots appear before the eyes.
Angiopathy of the vessels of the eye
Angiopathy of the vessels of the eye develops against the background of various diseases. It is accompanied by a deterioration in the nutrition of the eye, a violation of its blood supply. Flies begin to flicker in front of a person's eyes, blurred vision occurs, it can begin to deteriorate.
Angiopathy can develop as a result of the following reasons:
- High blood pressure. If a person has been suffering from hypertension for 10 years or more, then this will lead to damage to the vascular walls of the eye. Pathology progresses, visual acuity decreases, hemorrhages in the retina or in the vitreous body may occur.
- Diabetes. Angiopathy of the vessels of the eye develops in those people who have been suffering from diabetes mellitus for 7-10 years (subject to inadequate control of blood glucose levels). In the future, angiopathy can be complicated by glaucoma.
Early stage of cataract development
If the patient has just begun to develop cataracts, then this can be expressed in the appearance of flies before the eyes. They appear as rainbow halos that appear around a source of bright light.
The cataract progresses, the person's vision becomes worse.
Sometimes flies before the eyes arise as a result of the following pathologies and conditions of the body:
- Internal bleeding.
- Severe intoxication of the body.
- Serious traumatic brain injury.
- Cervical osteochondrosis.
- An impending attack of migraine or epilepsy may be expressed by the appearance of flies in front of the eyes.
Sharp changes in blood pressure, heavy physical exertion and a quick transition from horizontal to vertical position - all this can provoke the appearance of flies in front of the eyes. During this period, the vessels are overfilled with blood, which leads to temporary retinal ischemia. After a few minutes everything is back to normal. In this case, the person does not need any therapy.
Video: transfer of Elena Malysheva "Fly" before the eyes:
Diagnosis of the causes of flies before the eyes
To find out the reason that led to the flashing of the flies before your eyes, you need to see an ophthalmologist. The basic examination method is biomicroscopy, direct and indirect ophthalmoscopy. Also, the patient is measured intraocular pressure, visual acuity and visual fields are determined. If necessary, the patient is prescribed complex diagnostic procedures.
Laboratory research methods include donating blood for sugar and performing a general blood test. During the appointment, the patient's blood pressure is measured. If there is a suspicion of traumatic brain injury, then an MRI or CT scan of the brain may be performed.
To begin with, all patients need to visit an ophthalmologist. In the future, consultations of narrow specialists may be required, such as: a cardiologist, neuropathologist, endocrinologist, therapist, etc.
Treatment of flashing flies before the eyes
Depending on the reason that provoked the appearance of flies in front of the eyes, the patient is prescribed treatment.
The following medicines can be used:
- Enzyme preparations.
- Vitamin and mineral complexes with a high content of lutein.
You need to understand that there is no universal drug that could help get rid of flies in the eyes. Therefore, a person is prescribed medicines designed to relieve him of the underlying disease.
With pathologies of the vitreous body, the patient is shown an operation. Vitrectomy is a procedure to remove it. The vitreous humor is replaced with an analogue, for example, silicone oil.
With retinal detachment, laser coagulation will be required.
With angiopathy, it is necessary to identify the cause of its occurrence and direct efforts to eliminate it: adjust blood pressure, keep blood sugar levels under control.
With cataracts, surgery is most often indicated. The most common treatment is phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation. Treatment of cataracts with conservative methods is possible only if the disease has just begun to develop. The patient is prescribed installations of eye drops: Azapentacene, Pirenoxine, Taurine, etc. Their use allows you to suspend the process of lens opacity, but only for a while. In the future, the patient will still be sent for surgery.
Video: how to get rid of flies in front of your eyes?
When should you see a doctor?
Flies in front of the eyes are not always a pathological symptom that indicates a person's ill health. Sometimes they arise simply with a sharp change in the position of the body in space or with overwork.
Although in some cases, flies in the eyes appear in people with severe illnesses.
A doctor should be consulted in situations such as:
- The person had previously suffered a brain injury.
- Flies regularly flash before the eyes of people over 50.
- There are more and more flies.
- Flies cause severe discomfort and reduce the patient's quality of life.
- The patient was previously diagnosed with myopia, and now flies in front of his eyes began to flicker.
Regular visits to an ophthalmologist are necessary for patients with visual diseases. The appearance of flies in front of the eyes may indicate that the disease is progressing.
Prevention of the appearance of flies before the eyes
Since flies can flicker before your eyes with excessive stress on the organs of vision and the brain, you must use the following recommendations to prevent their appearance:
- It is important to follow the daily routine. Sleep should take at least 8 hours a day.
- It is necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle, quit smoking, which negatively affects the vessels of the eyeball and the vessels of the body as a whole.
- You need to go in for sports, but the loads should be comparable to the capabilities of a person.
- You should definitely take vitamins. Regular intake of vitamin A is important for good vision.
- If the work is associated with prolonged sitting at the computer, then every hour you need to do eye exercises. This will allow the oculomotor muscles to relax.
By following these simple recommendations, it will be possible to preserve visual acuity for a long time.
The author of the article: Degtyareva Marina Vitalievna, ophthalmologist, ophthalmologist