Darkens and dizzy
When people feel dizzy, their eyes often darken. These two symptoms can develop simultaneously, for example, after excessive physical or psychoemotional stress. In addition, such attacks can be a symptom of dangerous diseases.
Do not ignore the darkening of the eyes, accompanied by dizziness, especially if these symptoms occur on a regular basis. Be sure to go to the doctor's appointment and undergo a comprehensive examination.
- Why does it darken in the eyes and dizzy?
- Why does it darken in your eyes when you get up?
- What to do if it darkens sharply in the eyes?
- What cannot be done?
- Reasons not to be ignored
- Diagnostic methods
Why does it darken in the eyes and dizzy?
If a person has excellent health, but from time to time his eyes darken, then this symptom is not always associated with any pathologies. Although it is impossible to exclude the disease 100%.
The main factors that lead to darkening of the eyes are:
- Lack of fluid in the body. To avoid health problems, you need to drink at least 2 liters of water every day.
- Long hunger strike. A similar symptom is often observed in people who follow a fasting menu or are on a strict diet.
- Age-related changes in the body: menopause, old age, puberty.
- Adherence to bad habits. In this regard, smoking, alcohol abuse and drug use are dangerous.
- Excessive physical activity, unbearable for a person.
- High level of hemoglobin in the blood.
- Lack of vitamins and minerals.
- Diabetes mellitus and other endocrine pathologies.
- The period of bearing a child.
Why does it darken in your eyes when you get up?
Often people notice that their eyes darken with a sharp rise from a place. The main cause of this symptom is oxygen deficiency in tissues and organs. This condition is characterized by the term hypoxia. Lack of oxygen causes orthostatic hypotension, which is common in heart disease. If it darkens in the eyes when getting out of bed, then this may indicate that the person has low blood pressure.
Often, doctors hear complaints of darkening in the eyes from patients who are taking medications such as:
With a sharp decrease in blood pressure, a person will always darken his eyes. In this case, symptoms such as:
- Weakness in the body.
- Deterioration of attention.
- Memory impairment.
Darkening in the eyes should not be ignored. First you need to sit down so as not to get injured. Sometimes the darkness in the eyes goes away after the person calms down. When a similar phenomenon is observed often, you need to go to see a doctor.
What to do if it darkens sharply in the eyes?
If your eyes get dark and your head starts spinning, then in order to cope with an attack, you need to follow these recommendations:
- It is necessary to try to saturate the body with the maximum amount of oxygen. For this purpose, you can go out into the street, take a comfortable position, breathe in fresh air. When you are in a stuffy room, you should open the windows. If there are items of clothing around the neck and chest that impede breathing, you need to get rid of them.
- In order not to fall, you need to sit down or lie down. It is good if it is possible to raise your legs to an elevation so that they are above your head. This way, the blood will flow better to the brain.
- Be sure to use a tonometer and measure your blood pressure.
When a person clearly understands what is the cause of the attack, it is necessary to direct efforts to eliminate it. If a diabetic's eyes darken against the background of hunger, you can drink a glass of sweet water. This measure will increase blood glucose levels and cope with an attack.
If your head is spinning and darkens in your eyes due to prolonged exposure to the sun, then you need to go into the shade or into a cool room.
When the cause cannot be established, and the attack persists, an ambulance should be called. Doctors will examine the person and advise on how to cope with the existing problem.
Provided that the attack happened once, you should not panic. However, regular darkening in the eyes requires seeking medical attention.
What cannot be done?
If a person does not know what is the cause of the attack, it is forbidden to take any medications. Otherwise, you can harm your health. You should not make sudden movements, you can not quickly turn your head, tilt it down, as this can lead to a fall. You must definitely visit a doctor, or call a medical team at home.
It is forbidden to squat and bend over. You need to take the most comfortable position. You should not start smoking or drinking alcohol after the attack is over.
Reasons not to be ignored
Sometimes a person's eyes darken and his head is dizzy due to various diseases, among them:
- Vegetovascular dystonia. The head can not only be dizzy, but also hurt. Painful sensations in the temples and in the back of the head are localized.
- Cervical osteochondrosis. At the same time, the head is spinning and darkens in the eyes of a person most often in the morning and in the evening. The attack intensifies when turning the head, when bending and when changing the position of the body.
- Migraine. People with migraines have very severe headaches and dizziness, and tinnitus may appear. Patients often complain of increased photosensitivity and nausea.
- Diseases of the inner ear, which can be associated with a violation in the functioning of the vestibular apparatus.
- Postponed trauma to the skull and brain.
- Trinity neuralgia. At the same time, the person's eyes darken. Treatment should be immediate, as the disease threatens with serious complications. Most often, antibiotics are required.
- Cancer tumors. Dizziness and darkening of the eyes will happen on a regular basis.
- Orthostatic hypotension. This pathology is associated with somatic and neurological disorders, which leads to a sharp decrease in blood pressure levels. The body has difficulty adapting to rapidly developing hypoxia, which leads to an attack of dizziness and darkening of the eyes. This situation most often happens after a night's rest. Symptoms vary in severity and duration. Sometimes patients even faint. In addition, sweating may increase, and pain occurs in the epigastric region. Psychosensory impairment is a severe manifestation of hypotension. The disease needs high-quality therapy.
Anemia, accompanied by a decrease in the level of hemoglobin in the blood. Normally, blood contains a large number of red blood cells (erythrocytes), which are responsible for transporting oxygen to tissues and organs. With anemia, the body will suffer from oxygen starvation. This primarily affects the state of the brain. Therefore, anemia is always accompanied by attacks of dizziness. The patient's skin turns pale, weakness increases. Various pathologies of the digestive system, growing tumors, etc., can provoke the disease.
- Dizziness and darkening of the eyes may develop in people with a stroke. At the same time, arteries in the brain rupture, which leads to damage to its tissues. This condition requires emergency medical attention.
- Dizziness attacks follow patients with cardiovascular diseases, as they always provoke a violation of blood flow to the brain.
- Hypoglycemia with a drop in blood sugar levels leads to the fact that the patient with diabetes mellitus begins to feel dizzy and darken in the eyes. In severe cases, a person may even fall into a coma.
- Diseases of the organs of vision. Dizziness often develops with cataracts, as the deterioration of blood flow in the eyeball leads to a disruption in the transmission of information to the brain.
If a person is dizzy all the time, and also darkens in the eyes, you need to see a doctor. Ignoring such symptoms will lead to serious consequences. The doctor will prescribe a comprehensive diagnosis to the patient, and then select the necessary treatment.
A person who turns to a doctor with complaints of dizziness and darkening of the eyes needs to be prepared for the fact that he will be prescribed a lot of studies. Only comprehensive diagnostics will allow to establish the true cause of seizures.
Possible diagnostic measures:
- Determination of the pressure level.
- Ultrasound of the vessels of the neck and brain.
- MRI of the brain.
- Computed tomography of the cervical spine. In addition, this test can detect cancerous tumors.
- Fundus examination, eye pressure measurements.
- Donation of blood for general and biochemical analysis. Be sure to determine the level of cholesterol, hormones and hemoglobin in the blood.
- Performing bacterial culture and blood sampling to determine viral and bacterial infections, as they can lead to impaired functioning of the brain.
- Performing neurological tests.
Sometimes, in order to get rid of seizures, it is enough just to change your eating habits, as well as to follow the regime moments and devote enough time to sleep. Although in some cases, dangerous conditions lead to dizziness that require serious treatment.
Drugs that can be prescribed to the patient:
- Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. They are prescribed to treat otitis media as well as infections that affect the brain.
- Antidepressants, sedatives and drugs that normalize blood flow. Such treatment is indicated for patients with VSD, with surges in blood pressure, as well as for people who have undergone severe stress or erasing depression.
- B vitamins, calcium antagonists and drugs that improve brain nutrition. Such drugs are indicated for admission to patients with hypoxia and people involved in heavy mental work.
- Massage, physiotherapy, as well as taking medications that normalize vascular tone are indicated for patients suffering from osteochondrosis or other diseases of the cervical spine.
- Hormones should be taken by patients with disorders of the endocrine system.
- Iron supplements are prescribed for patients with anemia.
The dosage of medicines, as well as the duration of the course of treatment, is determined by the doctor, based on the individual characteristics of the course of the disease.
To minimize the risk of an attack of dizziness and darkening in the eyes, the following guidelines should be followed:
- Be in the fresh air as often as possible.
- Adhere to the principles of good nutrition.
- Get hardened by taking a contrast shower.
- Increase physical activity, engage in Scandinavian walking.
- Visit a masseur.
- Drink plenty of water.
- To refuse from bad habits.
- Regularly undergo preventive examinations.
- Allocate enough time to rest, sleep at least 8 hours a day.
- More often to be in the fresh air, to regularly ventilate the premises.
Article author: Mochalov Pavel Alexandrovich | d. m. n. therapist
Education: Moscow Medical Institute. IM Sechenov, specialty - "General Medicine" in 1991, in 1993 "Occupational Diseases", in 1996 "Therapy".