Snoring in women: how to cure?
According to medical statistics, approximately 30% of women snore in their sleep, and the likelihood of this phenomenon only increases with age. The intensity of female snoring is much less than that of the stronger sex, so this symptom rarely becomes a problem for family members of the snoring lady.
Despite this, snoring cannot be considered a harmless phenomenon. In some cases, snoring becomes the cause of repeated respiratory arrest, which provokes the development of heart ischemia, stroke, headaches, and increased blood pressure. Therefore, you should carefully understand the causes of snoring and determine with the help of a doctor the measures of effective correction.
- Causes of snoring in women
- Complications of snoring in women
- Snoring treatment in women
- Medicines to stop snoring in women
- Snoring devices
- Gymnastics for snoring in women
Causes of snoring in women
The main cause of snoring in both women and men is vibration of the walls of the pharynx and soft palate. As air passes through the vibrating tissue along the narrowed airways, it makes a frictional noise called snoring. When the walls of the pharynx are completely closed, air does not pass into the respiratory tract at all. There is a short-term cessation of breathing with all the negative consequences for the body.
This phenomenon is called obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and is no longer as harmless as snoring due to tiredness and uncomfortable posture. The appearance of snoring in women can be due to not one, but several reasons at the same time. In addition, there are specific "female" reasons for the development of rochnopathy - such an intricate term received snoring.
Factors contributing to snoring:
- Laxity of the pharyngeal muscles, sagging of the soft palate, which occurs with age;
- Not a physiological position of the body and head in a dream;
- Overgrowth of soft tissues in the airways (rhinitis, polyps, adenoids, curvature of the nasal septum;
- Overweight, compressing the soft tissues of the respiratory tract;
- Taking medications that cause relaxation of smooth muscles and a decrease in the brain's response to hypoxia;
- Swelling of the mucous membrane of the larynx due to the action of nicotine during smoking;
- Relaxation of the muscles of the respiratory tract due to the effects of alcohol on the central nervous system;
- Inflammation of the tissues of the larynx in respiratory diseases, the development of an oncological process.
Feeding common factors contributing to snoring, women have typical causes that are characteristic of the exceptionally weaker sex:
- Frequent use of sleeping pills;
- Hormonal disorders during pregnancy and during menopause, when a lack of estrogen provokes a narrowing of the airways;
- Increased emotionality and exposure to stress, negatively affecting the nervous system;
- Swelling of the larynx and tongue, which occurs against the background of thyroid pathology due to an imbalanced electrolyte balance.
Complications of snoring in women
The negative effects of snoring at night significantly reduce a woman's quality of life. They have decreased efficiency, sexual desire, often headaches in the morning. A woman wakes up without having a full night's rest, feels chronic fatigue during the day. Her chronic diseases may worsen.
If a pregnant woman suffers from snoring, her baby is at risk of hypoxia during the night's sleep due to the mother's inadequate breathing. If snoring develops into obstructive sleep apnea, the risk of cardiac and vascular pathologies, arterial hypertension, and even death increases.
Snoring treatment in women
Before starting treatment for snoring, you need to diagnose the cause of this negative symptom. Sleep problems are dealt with by a somnologist, and an otolaryngologist will be able to diagnose pathologies of the respiratory tract. If the pathology is based on thyroid dysfunction, it is worth consulting an endocrinologist, a therapist.
To differentiate obstructive sleep apnea from normal snoring, the patient is offered polysomnography. This study will help assess vital signs of respiration, heart rate and other body parameters during sleep. The sensors are attached to the body, they take readings and transmit them to the main device for evaluation by a specialist.
When prescribing treatment, the doctor is guided by the reasons that caused the snoring. If snoring is caused by the negative effects of excess weight, the woman is advised to increase physical activity and revise her diet. With the growth of soft tissues of the palate and nasopharynx, the doctor plans an operation to eliminate the pathology. Hypothyroidism needs to be treated under the guidance of an endocrinologist. Hormone deficiency during menopause is corrected by hormone replacement therapy prescribed by a gynecologist.
[Video] Dr. Berg - SNORE IN YOUR SLEEP? How to stop snoring:
Medicines to stop snoring in women
If the cause of snoring is associated with inflammatory processes in the nasopharynx, vasoconstrictor nasal drops and sprays are prescribed to eliminate swelling of the nasal mucosa and larynx. Specific drugs for eliminating snoring during sleep:
- Doctor Snore;
Most of these drugs come in the form of a spray that can be conveniently injected into the mouth or nose before bed. These remedies are used for symptomatic treatment; they do not address the underlying cause of snoring. As soon as the effect of the drug ends, negative manifestations may return again.
The pharmaceutical industry has many tools in its arsenal to minimize snoring:
Anti-snoring clip with and without magnetic inserts is a silicone horseshoe-shaped device that is attached to the nose during a night's sleep by squeezing its tips. The effect is based on the stimulation of biological active points by such a clip, which influence the regulation of the functions of the central nervous system.
The Sonayt mouthguard is a jaw retainer made of anti-allergenic material that facilitates the passage of air through the respiratory tract due to a slight forward extension of the lower jaw. The mouthguard is safe to wear and should not be swallowed, damaged, or spat out during sleep. The efficiency of the device is very high, reaching 80%.
The Extra-Lor device is a lip and tongue fixer in a strictly defined position, vaguely reminiscent of a baby pacifier. Increases the tone of the muscles of the respiratory tract, subject to constant use. These devices have a fairly high price, but they make up for this disadvantage with their effectiveness.
Pilar implants. Implantation into the sky using a disposable special syringe of three strips of special threads is extremely effective. A foreign body causes a rejection reaction - granulation of tissues, which stimulates their densification and strengthening. As a result, snoring stops or is significantly reduced.
Gymnastics for snoring in women
Whistling is an extremely effective exercise for treating and preventing snoring. When whistling for 20 minutes, the tissues of the palate, tongue, larynx are effectively tense, their tone increases. This strengthening of the pharyngeal muscles helps to stop snoring within 2-3 weeks of daily exercise.
Singing a melody without uttering words has a similar effect. This technique strengthens the muscles of the larynx and palate if chanted daily for 15-20 minutes a day. You can divide this exercise into 2-3 rounds.
Gymnastics for snoring:
- Stick out your tongue as far as possible, trying to reach them to the chin, spend up to 30 repetitions.
- Move the lower jaw to the right and to the left, countering by pressing the bottom of the hand on the chin, repeat up to 30 times.
- Clamp a wooden spoon, stick or pencil with your teeth as hard as possible, hold for 3 minutes, unclench your teeth. Repeat several times.
- Pronounce the sound "I" for a long time;
- Tilt your head back, return to the starting position.
- Tilt your head to the side, trying to reach the shoulder with your ear, repeat several times in each direction.
Performing gymnastics is ineffective in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
There are simple and affordable methods to prevent snoring. In order not to experience negative experiences, you need to give up smoking and alcohol, have dinner no later than 3-4 hours before bedtime, and avoid psycho-emotional overload. A woman should deal with the treatment of chronic diseases in a timely manner, sleep in a comfortable position. Orthopedic pillows and mattresses will greatly facilitate the position.
You should not self-medicate snoring, only a doctor can determine its causes and provide effective assistance.
The author of the article: Lazarev Oleg Vladimirovich | ENT
Education: In 2009, he received a diploma in the specialty "General Medicine" at the Petrozavodsk State University. After completing an internship at the Murmansk Regional Clinical Hospital, he received a diploma in Otorhinolaryngology (2010)