Inulin - benefits and harms, instructions for use
From time to time, for one reason or another, various products rise on the wave of consumer popularity. Interest in them is growing, everyone is studying the exclusive properties, trying to purchase this product and put it into practice. Sometimes, as in the case of inulin, such interest is fully justified, because the valuable qualities of this substance make it extremely useful for the human body.
- What is inulin and what is it for?
- The benefits of inulin
- Inulin harm
- What foods contain inulin?
- Jerusalem artichoke inulin
- Instructions for the use of inulin
- Inulin producers
- Inulin for weight loss
- Contraindications to the use of inulin
- Inulin price
What is inulin and what is it for?
Inulin is a natural polysaccharide with a sweetish taste that has no synthetic analogues. It is found in more than 3000 plants, mainly in their roots and tubers.
Its popularity is due to the valuable qualities of the polysaccharide. Being a natural prebiotic, inulin, when it enters the human gastrointestinal tract, improves intestinal motility, stimulates digestion, provides nutrition and growth of valuable bifidobacteria. Human digestive enzymes are unable to digest inulin, so it fully retains its valuable properties in the digestive tract.
The benefits of inulin
Since the formula of this polysaccharide is close to the formula of fiber, the acidic environment of the stomach is unable to affect inulin. It undergoes partial breakdown in the intestine, where working microorganisms convert inulin into a nutrient medium for their reproduction. The growing colonies of beneficial bacteria displace the pathogenic flora, which heals the intestines, stimulating the biochemical reactions of digestion.
The remaining undigested part of inulin, passing through the intestine, cleanses it of toxins, radionuclides, and "bad" cholesterol. This property is actively used by manufacturers, releasing many types of food additives and products designed to cleanse the body.
Other valuable properties of inulin:
Inulin promotes the assimilation of useful microelements necessary for human life: calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, phosphorus. Thanks to his mediation, the absorption of these minerals increases by 30%, the formation of bone tissue is stimulated, its density increases by 25%, and osteoporosis is prevented.
- Inulin is an immunomodulator, increasing the intensity of metabolic processes, increasing the body's endurance.
- Creates the illusion of satiety without adding calories to food, contributing to weight loss.
- An excellent substitute for natural coffee without harming the digestion and nervous system.
- Gives food a rich, creamy taste without increasing their calorie content.
- Due to the reaction of lymphoid tissue to the introduction of inulin into the digestive tract, the human immune system is strengthened, as the local immunity of the ureters, bronchial tree, and gastrointestinal mucosa increases.
- The hepatoprotective properties of inulin are to stimulate the repair of damaged liver tissue, which helps in the treatment of hepatitis B and C.
This polysaccharide does not have any dangerous properties and is not capable of having a negative effect on the human body. Inulin is included in hypoallergenic baby food for infants, which goes through several stages of quality control.
The only side effect of this substance is to stimulate increased gas production. In addition, inulin is not recommended to be taken with antibiotics, as it reduces the effectiveness of drugs in this group.
What foods contain inulin?
The champion of the inulin content among cultivated plants is chicory root. It contains up to 20% of this polysaccharide, and up to 70% in terms of dry matter.
List of plants with high inulin content:
- Dry burdock root - 37-45%;
- Elecampane root - 44%;
- Dandelion root - 40%;
- Jerusalem artichoke tubers - 14-18%;
- Garlic - 9-16%;
- Leeks - 3-10%;
- Onions - 2-6%;
- Tubers of dahlia, narcissus, hyacinth, scorzonera, oat root - 10-12%;
- Rye - 0.5-1.5%;
- Barley - 0.5-1%;
- Bananas - 0.3-0.7%.
High inulin content is found in raisins, asparagus, artichokes.
Jerusalem artichoke inulin
Most of the inulin offered to the consumer is produced from Jerusalem artichoke tubers. For this, varieties with a high content of this polysaccharide are used, bred through selection work. For the production of inulin, a gentle technology is used that preserves its valuable properties as much as possible. The output is a concentrated powder with a high polysaccharide content.
Jerusalem artichoke is a unique plant, the tubers of which do not accumulate nitrates in any way of cultivation. This plant is capable of converting toxic substances into harmless compounds.
In addition, the plant contains a large amount of iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium, manganese, silicon, zinc. The balanced mineral composition increases immunity and strengthens human health. This unique plant is especially useful for patients with diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis, and metabolic disorders.
All these valuable qualities are preserved in inulin preparations obtained from Jerusalem artichoke. For those who care about their slimness, it will be useful to know that Jerusalem artichoke inulin slows down the absorption of fats and carbohydrates. Complete assimilation of calcium from food, improvement of intestinal microflora - all these properties are characteristic of the drug produced in the form of tablets or powder. To cover the daily requirement, you will need only 1-2 teaspoons of inulin per day.
Instructions for the use of inulin
Dietary supplement Inulin is available in the form of powder, crystals, tablets of 0.5 g. It is a 100% unmodified polysaccharide in its natural state. Its structure completely repeats the structure of a living cell. 100 g of dietary supplement Inulin contains 110 kilocalories.
- Chronic hepatitis
- Fat metabolism disorders
- Colon cancer prevention.
The drug is taken in courses with a break between them for 1-2 months. The course requires 3 bottles of Inulin.
- Tablets - 1-2 pcs. 3-4 times a day;
- Powder - 1 tsp each. before meals (1-3 times a day).
Before use, crystals and powder are dissolved in any liquid - water, kefir, juice, tea. Of course, it is better to consult a doctor first. But even with prolonged use, side effects from taking the supplement are not observed.
This drug is positioned by the Belgian manufacturing company ORAFTI as the most advanced prebiotic, the only one of its analogues, protecting the colon throughout its entire length. The dietary supplement contains acacia resin and oligofructose, which gives the powder a sweetish taste.
Several hundred medical studies have been devoted to the positive effect of the drug on the state of the digestive, immune and bone systems. It is widely used in 75 countries in Europe and America. With the help of Ortho Prebio, the beneficial intestinal microflora increases its concentration by 5-10 times in 10-12 days. This positive effect can be judged by a change in stool characteristics and a decrease in intestinal discomfort.
Ortho Prebio can be used during weight management as it promotes fast satiety and prevents overeating.
Indications for use:
- Dysbacteriosis caused by treatment with antibacterial drugs;
- Atopic dermatitis;
- Chronic fatigue;
- Stress, depression;
- Allergic manifestations, asthma;
- Decreased immunity after diseases of the respiratory system;
- Diseases of the joints;
- Irritable bowel syndrome;
- Chronic gastrointestinal diseases.
Positive action of Ortho Prebio:
- Helps prevent constipation;
- Reduces the likelihood and severity of intestinal infections;
- Activates fat metabolism;
- Prevents the development of "traveler's diarrhea";
- Removes heavy metals, radionuclides, toxins from the body;
- Promotes the prevention of oncological and inflammatory diseases of the digestive tract;
- Increases the effectiveness of concurrently taken probiotics.
Due to its sweet taste, the drug can be added to drinks, cereals, baked goods, fermented milk products, or taken in isolation.
- Adults - 1 tsp. twice a day in the first 10-14 days, then 1 tsp;
- Children - the recommended dose is 2-3 times less.
Ortho Prebio has no side effects even if the dosage is significantly exceeded. Rarely, increased gas production can occur.
The drug is a tablet consisting of dry Jerusalem artichoke powder and wheat bran.
The dietary supplement Inulin Forte includes:
- Essential amino acids
- Micro and macro elements (iron, calcium, silicon, copper, zinc, manganese),
Vitamins B 1, B 2, C.
- Stimulates metabolism;
Reduces the threshold of satiety during meals;
- It has a positive effect on the activity of the gastrointestinal tract and the cardiovascular system;
- Promotes tissue regeneration in the treatment of peptic ulcer disease;
- Used to effectively cleanse the body.
Bioadditive Inulin Forte has no contraindications for use other than pregnancy and lactation. The recommended frequency of administration is 2 tablets 3 times a day with meals. They are washed down with water or juice, jelly, compote.
This drug, produced by the Ukrainian company Inulan Limited, contains inulin and powder from the gynostemma plant. The supplement normalizes and coordinates the activity of the immune, reproductive, digestive, cardiovascular systems due to the high content of saponins.
Action of Gynosteminin:
- Neutralizes the effects of stress and depression;
- It is a hepatoprotective agent;
- According to Japanese researchers, it reduces the likelihood of cancer cells formation;
- Normalizes lipid metabolism;
- It is used in Asian countries for weight loss in obese people and weight gain in asthenics and athletes;
- Normalizes blood sugar levels;
- Prevents the development of complications of diabetes.
The dietary supplement contains inulin, carotenoids, saponins, trace elements (selenium, magnesium, zinc, calcium).
The drug is used to normalize cholesterol levels, improve metabolic processes and accelerate metabolism. The supplement regulates body weight, has hepatoprotective properties, improves digestion, and is taken to prevent gallstone and urolithiasis.
Composition and useful properties of the components:
- Inulin - removes toxins, normalizes the level and composition of bile acids, improves digestion;
- Ivy buddra - helps to evacuate small stones and sand from the gall and bladder, has cleansing properties;
- Common linden - reduces blood viscosity, relieves spasms, has a choleretic, calming effect, stimulates the separation of bile and urine;
- Dandelion medicinal - tones up the tissues of the gallbladder, stimulates bile formation,
- Field horsetail - increases immunity and accelerates metabolic processes, stimulates hematopoiesis, lowers the level of "bad" cholesterol in the blood.
Inulin for weight loss
The decrease in body weight is due to the fact that inulin directly affects carbohydrate and fat metabolism. It binds triglycerides, fatty acids and "bad" cholesterol. Its effect on the liver is expressed in regulating fat metabolism and increasing the activity of liver enzymes.
The cells of the human body, freed from ballast and toxins, more actively assimilate nutrients. The blood sugar level decreases, along with it, the body weight decreases. This process does not happen in a short time, it can take 2 to 3 months to achieve a meaningful result. Diet and exercise will help speed up weight loss.
The use of inulin creates a feeling of fullness and reduces appetite due to the fact that it envelops the intestinal mucosa, without increasing the level of sugar and insulin in the blood.
The extremely low calorie content combined with the pleasant taste make inulin a valuable component of any weight loss diet.
Contraindications to the use of inulin
Inulin does not cause side effects and has no contraindications.
Inulin from Jerusalem artichoke tubers in tablets can be purchased at a price of 375 to 510 rubles per 100 pcs. with a dosage of 0.5 g.
The dietary supplement Inulin Forte Evalar is offered to consumers from 249 rubles per 100 pcs.
Inulin powder, produced in the USA (Orto Prebio), the online store offers 1200 rubles per package.
Author of the article: Alekseeva Maria Yurievna | Therapist
Education: From 2010 to 2016 Practitioner of the therapeutic hospital of the central medical-sanitary unit No. 21, city of elektrostal. Since 2016 she has been working in the diagnostic center No. 3.