Depression in men
- Symptoms of depression in men
- Causes of depression in men
- How long does depression last in men?
- How to deal with depression in men?
For a long time, it was believed in society that men were not prone to depression. This prerogative was assigned to the female sex. But modern scientists in the field of medicine and psychology, through numerous studies and practical observations, have come to the conclusion that depressive states in men are not so rare.
Symptoms of depression in men
The symptoms of the formation and development of depression in men are similar to those in women. Certain nuances can be noted on an individual basis.
So, the main symptoms of depression in men are:
Feeling of constant fatigue: movements become slower, the pace of speech and mental activity changes.
- There is a feeling of drowsiness or, conversely, insomnia appears. Oftentimes, even a long sleep leaves you feeling overwhelmed.
- Significant fluctuations in weight. Depression may be indicated by changes in body weight of more than 5% in the direction of increase or decrease.
- Digestive disorders accompanied by constipation or diarrhea.
- The appearance of headaches associated with pain in the neck and back.
- Irritability, intemperance in relation to the people around and their actions.
- Absent-mindedness, inability to concentrate. Depression interferes with concentration.
Aggression, a feeling of anger due to the fact that in a state of depression a man cannot give higher results of his activities.
- Increased anxiety.
- The emergence of bad habits. Most often, men tend to drown out problems with alcohol and drugs.
- Intimate problems. Depressive states can lead to erectile dysfunction. Men try to keep silent about such difficulties as impotence and reduced sex drive, which further exacerbate the situation.
- Suicidal intentions. Extreme manifestation of depression. Of course, men are less likely than women to take such a step, but according to statistics, deaths in men are much more frequent.
If even one of the symptoms persists for more than two weeks, then depression is diagnosed.
Causes of depression in men
Depression is the body's response to an external stimulus, which is traumatic and causes negative emotions.
The reasons for this state lie in the changes in the usual way of life.
There are major categories that can lead to depression in men:
- Social reasons: lack of success at work, problems at work, business mistakes, loss of a job, difficult financial situation, personal failures, family quarrels and conflicts, retirement;
- Hormonal disruptions: disturbances in the hypothalamus and thyroid gland, increased secretion of adrenal hormones, decreased testosterone;
- Brain trauma.
Separately, it should be said about the reasons for the psycho-emotional nature. They become the most frequent in the development of depression.
Typical cases that give impetus to the development of a depressive state:
Divorce. For men, this situation does not go unnoticed. Some start looking for new partners for sexual relations, others lean on alcohol. For some, divorce leads to a state of confusion. Family life with its usual way of life is over and there is only uncertainty ahead. Being depressed leads to sleep disturbance, loss of appetite and headaches.
- Middle age crisis. Many men are struggling to cross the 40th birthday threshold. During this period, they tend to sum up the years lived and not everyone is satisfied with the results. Depression in this case can take radical forms, up to the loss of the meaning of life.
- Depression after childbirth. Men also tend to experience "postpartum" depression. The beloved woman can no longer devote all her time to her husband. Now she is busy with the baby. A man is not always able to adequately assess the situation, which is why this period is so often marked by betrayal and divorce.
The range of reasons is quite diverse and depends on the specific situation. In any case, knowing the starting point of the onset of the development of depression will be easier to cope with.
How long does depression last in men?
The duration of depression in men depends on the severity of the condition.
Mild to moderate depression can last up to 9 months. In most cases, a man is able to cope with it on his own. However, consulting a specialist and taking the necessary medication can significantly shorten this period.
A dysthymic form of depression can accompany a person throughout his life. If such a state is associated with a specific situation, for example, the loss of a job, then depression, as a rule, recedes when entering a new position.
How to deal with depression in men?
The main methods of dealing with depression are:
- Taking antidepressants;
- Psychotherapeutic sessions;
- A combination of two methods.
On the subject: List of drugs for depression
Self-management of depression is possible if the condition is mild or moderate. To carry out such work, it is better to listen to the recommendations of specialists:
- Confess to yourself about the presence of depression;
- Identify the root cause that prompted the development of a depressive state;
- Plan your day, paying special attention to things that cause pleasant emotions;
- Make a daily, weekly, monthly routine and try to adhere to it as much as possible;
- Play sports regularly;
- During depression, avoid making serious decisions;
- Monitor nutrition, which should be complete and balanced;
- Get enough sleep;
Competently alternate rest and work, as well as periodically change mental activity to physical labor and vice versa.
Depression is called the disease of the century. Nobody is safe from her. The modern world is fast and aggressive. It is impossible to catch everything and give one universal advice for all occasions. But everyone is capable of making their life pleasant and full of positive moments!
Author of the article: Sokov Andrey Vladimirovich | Neurologist
Education: In 2005 completed an internship at the IM Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University and received a diploma in Neurology. In 2009, completed postgraduate studies in the specialty "Nervous diseases".
Popular by topic
Symptoms and treatment of oral actinomycosisAn infectious disease, which is characterized by a chronic form of the course and a specific inflammatory process, is called actinomycosis. The cause of its occurrence is radiant fungi, namely actinomycetes, which have entered the body
AmebiasisAmoebiasis is an intestinal infection. The disease is characterized by a long course and leads to the formation of ulcers in the large intestine and other organs. Amoeba, as a microorganism, was first discovered by the scientist F
Ichthyosis of the skin: forms, symptoms and treatmentWhat is ichthyosis?Ichthyosis is a skin disease that has a lot in common with dermatosis. Pathology is acquired hereditarily and is characterized by a uniform violation of keratinization and the appearance on the surface of the body of scales similar to fish
Scarlet fever in adultsMost adults regard scarlet fever as a purely childhood disease. In fact, this is not the case. The likelihood of infection remains high even among those people who have long ceased to be children. Adults with weakened immune systems are more likely to become infected
Toxoplasmosis - the first symptoms, diagnosis and treatmentToxoplasmosis is an infection caused by protozoa (toxoplasma). In adults, the disease is most often asymptomatic, but at the same time it harms the body. Toxoplasmosis is especially dangerous for pregnant women, since the infection can provoke congenital malformations of the fetus