Exercises for lordosis
Exercises for lordosis is a complex of physical exercises that are aimed at correcting posture disorders provoked by pathological bending of the cervical and lumbar regions. It is exercise therapy that is given a leading place in the complex therapy of lordosis.
A set of exercises for lordosis is selected for each patient individually. The choice depends on what is the degree of curvature of the spine in a person, what is his age and state of health, as well as on what exactly caused the development of pathology. Nevertheless, there are basic principles on which all sets of exercises for lordosis are built.
The basic principles of therapeutic gymnastics for lordosis
By observing the basic rules for performing therapeutic exercises, you can maximize their effectiveness:
- The initial load should be minimal. The same applies to the level of difficulty of the exercises performed. The number of approaches is increasing gradually.
No exercise should cause pain or discomfort. If this happens, then the person is doing something wrong. Pain is always a signal to stop exercising and revise the technique. It's good to start performing the complex under the supervision of an orthopedist, who will help hone your skills.
- Any physical activity should start with a warm-up. This will warm up the muscles and prepare all body systems for subsequent stress.
- The complex aimed at treating lordosis should consist of basic types of exercises (strength exercises, breathing exercises, muscle stretching) and additional exercises. For the last lessons, you will need sports equipment - a gymnastic stick, wall bars, etc.
- Skipping workouts should not be allowed. The complex must be performed regularly. But illness or feeling unwell is a reason to take a break.
- It is important to monitor your breathing during exercise.
- You should take care of comfortable clothes and shoes that will not hinder movement.
A set of exercises for lordosis
A set of exercises for lordosis is aimed at working out the entire spinal column. It is known that if there are violations of one part of the back, then this will certainly negatively affect the condition of the adjacent zones. But the emphasis will still be placed on the lower back, or on the neck.
Exercises to correct lumbar lordosis
- Working out the upper sections of the serratus anterior muscle. You need to stand against the wall and rest your straight right hand against the wall, and stretch your left along the body. Then the body is rotated towards the abducted right limb, trying to touch the wall with the fingers of the left hand. The rotation is done on inhalation, return to the starting position on exhalation. In this case, the lower limbs and pelvis remain motionless. After five turns with the body, the hands need to be changed.
Bilateral study of the broad back muscles. To perform this exercise, you will need a gymnastic bench, or another elevation from which the patient will be wrung out. Hands need to be spread wide, on exhalation, the chest goes down, on inhalation, it returns to its original position. For women, you can ease the exercise by doing push-ups from your knees. You should start with 3-5 push-ups, gradually bringing them up to 15-20 times.
- Stretching of the interscapular and lumbar muscles. Exercise 1. Starting position on the knees with an emphasis on the hands. Then you need to lower the torso to the floor, trying to reach it with the upper chest. At the same time, the arms are bent at the elbows and diverge to the sides, the palms remain tightly pressed against the support. It is important to ensure that the back remains straight and that the lumbar lordosis does not worsen. Run 5 times.
Stretching of the interscapular and lumbar muscles. Exercise 2. You need to stand on your feet, spreading them shoulder-width apart, hands on the belt. From the starting position, a forward bend is performed with an attempt to reach the feet with your hands. On exhalation, tilt, on inhalation, rise. It is important to keep your knees and back as straight as possible. If the first time you cannot reach the feet, then you should not do this through force. Repeat the exercise 6-10 times.
- Correction of the round back in lumbar hyperlordosis. You need to lie on your back, pressing your hips to your stomach, and bend your arms at the elbows and shoulders and put them so that they are at right angles to the body. In this case, the elbows will look at the ceiling. Dumbbells weighing 1 kg each are taken into the hands. On exhalation, the arms at the elbows unbend, rise up, then to the sides and again to the shoulders. Repeat the exercise 5-15 times, depending on the degree of fitness of the patient.
Round back correction. You need to lie on the floor and bend your legs at the hip and knee joints, the feet rest on the floor. In the hands of 1 kg dumbbells, arms are extended behind the head. The load rises from behind the head with straight arms. The rise is carried out before the arms move to a vertical position, after which they need to be returned behind the head. The number of approaches is from 5 to 15.
- Spread your legs shoulder-width apart, stretch your arms along the body. Squat, stretching your arms forward, but at the same time the heels should not come off the floor, and the back should not bend. The number of repetitions is from 5 to 15.
- Lie on the floor, cross your arms over your chest, placing your palms on your shoulders. On exhalation, lift the body without using the hands, then return back. Run 8 times.
- To complete the exercise, you will need a bar higher than the person's height. With a front grip, you need to grab the bar and hang on it for 5 seconds, while pulling the socks down to feel how the spine is stretching. After that, as you exhale, the legs rise up, bending only in the hip joints. At the same time, the socks stretch towards the ceiling. On exhalation, it returns to the starting position. Repeat 5 times.
The complex should be completed by stretching the trained muscles. To do this, you need to stand up straight, bring your legs together, tighten your buttocks. Then the right hand is raised as high as possible, and with the left hand, reach to the floor. At this time, the hips protrude forward, the stomach is pulled in, the buttocks are in tension. Stay in this position for 30 seconds, then change hands.
In addition to pathological lumbar lordosis, cervical lordosis is often found, which also requires a complex of therapeutic exercises. You can perform them both independently and with an instructor.
Exercises to correct cervical lordosis
- Correction of the correct position of the head. It is necessary to inhale as much as possible and tightly squeeze the jaws with a bite on the molars. The breath is delayed for 15 seconds, after which an exhalation is made. Thus, it is possible to straighten cervical lordosis, reduce thoracic kyphosis.
The legs are spread wider than the shoulders, on the shoulders there is a gymnastic stick, which the person holds at both ends with his hands. The stick rests on the patient's neck. From this position, you need to tilt in different directions, but the legs and pelvis must remain motionless. This exercise helps to eliminate not only the cervical lordosis, but also the lumbar, and is also a training in correct posture.
- Starting position - knee-wrist rest on the floor. The back should be straight, and a large book lies on the crown and neck of the person. The patient's task is to crawl on all fours, trying to keep the book in a horizontal position.
- Hands on the waist, feet shoulder-width apart, feet parallel. The back is flexed forward and upward in the thoracic spine. In this case, the elbows are pulled back. You can mentally imagine that a rope comes out of the chest, which pulls the patient upward at an angle of 45 ° C.
- Starting position with arms raised above the back of the head. You can give a person a small load. At the same time, the jaws are compressed with a bite on the molars, and the back of the head stretches up, with a slight deviation back. In this position, the person begins to slowly move around the room, looking straight ahead all the time.
Regular performance of the complexes of medical gymnastics in combination with drug correction and massage allows you to completely get rid of pathological non-fixed vertebral and cervical lordosis.
Author of the article: Sokov Andrey Vladimirovich | Neurologist
Education: In 2005 completed an internship at the IM Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University and received a diploma in Neurology. In 2009, completed postgraduate studies in the specialty "Nervous diseases".
Popular by topic
Stages of treatment for open woundsA wound is any violation of the integrity of tissues resulting from the mechanical action of certain external objects. The degree of damage to body tissues depends on the size, shape, weight of the injured object, and the strength and speed with which this action is performed
Dry skin: what does it mean and what to do?Xerosis or xeroderma is a condition in which the skin becomes very dry and destroyed. The reason for this violation lies in errors in the work of the sebaceous glands. They produce too little or no fat secretion at all
Lumbar lordosis (lumbar lordosis)Lumbar lordosis is a physiological or pathological bend in the lumbar spine characterized by a bulge. Physiological lumbar lordosis is present in every person (there is also in the cervical spine), and pathological lordosis differs from it in the degree of convexity of the bend
Diet Kovalkov: pros and consAlexey Kovalkov is a nutritionist who is now one of the most popular and sought-after specialists in his field. Although only 10 years ago it was difficult to recognize him. This man suffered from obesity until the time when he pulled himself together and took his weight under control
Oatmeal diet: pros and consThe oatmeal diet is one of the most affordable, simple, effective and time-tested methods of losing extra pounds. It is not for nothing that the oatmeal diet is popular with Englishwomen from the most ancient aristocratic families, who are accustomed to losing weight not only wisely, but also "with taste