A sports doctor is a doctor who monitors the health of athletes, provides them with medical assistance in case of injuries at competitions.
The specialist is also responsible for the appropriate preparation of athletes before the competition.
While working with athletes, a sports doctor monitors their nutrition, physical activity and rest, training schedule. The doctor has knowledge of the treatment of injuries, the ability to diagnose them. I am familiar with the methods of physiotherapy exercises, gymnastics and massage.
Every sports doctor must undergo a course of sports psychology, dietetics, cardiology, pharmacology, surgery and functional diagnostics.
Leave a request "make an appointment" and within a few minutes we will find an experienced doctor near you, and the price will be lower than when contacting the clinic directly. Or choose a doctor yourself by clicking on the "Find a Doctor" button. Find a doctor
- What is Sports Medicine?
- What does a sports medicine doctor do?
- What diseases does a sports doctor treat?
- What diagnostic methods does a sports doctor use?
- Appointment to a sports doctor
What is Sports Medicine?
Sports medicine is a specific department of medical science and practice that deals with biomedical support for the training of athletes. Sports medicine and specialists working in this industry solve many issues, including:
- Selection, granting admission to classes and sports based on the genetic and phenotypic capabilities of a particular person;
- Assessment of the health status of an individual and solving the issue of his admission to sports training and classes;
- Monitoring the use of medicines in sports;
- Control over the implementation of hygienic rules by athletes, which affect the risk of their morbidity and the growth of fitness;
- Provision of rehabilitation measures for athletes after illnesses and injuries;
- Ensuring the growth of the special working capacity of athletes, using a number of physiological methods of influence on their body, including: pedagogical, psychological, medico-biological, etc.
What does a sports medicine doctor do?
The duties of a sports doctor include:
- Ability to provide first aid to the victim in case of emergencies during sports activities.
- Ability to select athletes for admission to various sports.
- Treatment of infectious and somatic diseases of athletes.
- Ability to perform medical examinations of athletes based on the sports they play. Based on the results of the medical examination, the sports doctor must issue a medical report for the coach.
- Obliged to monitor the health status of athletes.
- Ability to determine the level of sports readiness of an athlete for further competitive and training load.
- Engage in professional prevention and diagnosis of pathologies and injuries of the musculoskeletal system that athletes have.
Monitor the medication intake by athletes.
In addition, sports medicine doctors carry out scientific activities. Research can be related to:
- With sports cardiology;
- With the treatment and therapy of somatic diseases;
- With the diagnosis and correction of athletes' immune disorders;
- With functional diagnostics;
- With questions of rehabilitation of athletes after injuries and past illnesses;
- With the recovery of athletes after the loads received during training and competition;
- With questions of improving the performance of athletes.
What diseases does a sports doctor treat?
A sports medicine doctor deals with the treatment of diseases associated with the musculoskeletal system, with its injuries and pathologies.
It can be:
- Inflammation of the periosteum;
- Injury to the nose;
- Tooth trauma;
- Spinal cord injury;
- Spinal column injuries;
- Fractures and dislocations of the jaw;
- Joint injuries;
- Damage to the groin area;
- Meniscus injury;
- Lower and upper limb injuries.
The sports medicine physician often interacts with other professionals. These can be neurologists, neuropathologists, orthopedists, surgeons, dentists, etc.
What diagnostic methods does a sports doctor use?
In order to present the correct diagnosis to an injured athlete, the doctor may send the patient to undergo the following tests:
- Duplex scanning of blood vessels;
- Carrying out a study of the joint fluid;
Based on the results of the studies obtained, the doctor makes a diagnosis and prescribes appropriate treatment.