How to remove dark circles under the eyes? Reasons for the appearance
- Causes of dark circles under the eyes
- How to remove dark circles under the eyes?
The color and elasticity of human skin are a reflection of the state of the body: you can easily notice malfunctions in its work, observing the color of the epidermis under the eyes. After all, it is there that the skin is the thinnest and is penetrated with capillaries. The darker it is, the more likely it is that this or that organ is included in the pathological process. Therefore, it is so important to know and be able to identify the causes of dark circles under the eyes.
Dark circles are often mistaken for fatigue and general malaise, but in some cases they can signal more serious problems.
Causes of dark circles under the eyes
The causes of dark circles under the eyes can be summarized as follows:
- Allergic skin reaction to a new, incorrectly selected cosmetic product, or its irrational use;
- Genetic predisposition to dark circles. The reason in this case is that the skin area under the eyes is very thin. The dark staining of the periorbital zone is due to the transmission of capillaries that are located too close to the skin surface;
- Frequent stress and constant nervous tension affect a person's appearance and can provoke an unhealthy pallor of the skin, against the background of which the existing dark circles under the eyes become more noticeable;
- Excessive stress on the visual apparatus, in particular, prolonged stay at the computer, reading in poor lighting - all this can provoke the appearance of dark circles under the eyes;
- Lack of iron in the body, anemia of varying severity. To determine the level of hemoglobin, it is enough to pass a regular blood test;
- Lack of sleep or wrong daily routine. An adult's sleep should last at least 8 hours. In addition, it is important to follow the regimen and go to bed every day at the recommended time. Doctors advise to go to bed no later than 24 hours. Failure to comply with this rule leads to the fact that the body begins to experience constant stress, which means that dark circles under the eyes will appear very quickly;
- Diseases of the urinary system. With kidney pathology, not only dark circles appear under the eyes, but puffiness also appears. In this case, both the lower and upper eyelids swell. In this case, it is important to pay attention to the combination of symptoms, for example, problems with urination in combination with increased thirst may indicate diabetes;
Pancreatic pathologies affect the appearance of a person, including the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. They are joined by symptoms such as pain in the right hypochondrium, vomiting, stool disorders, nausea;
- Infection of the body with parasites, in particular helminthiasis. If dark circles appear under the eyes, accompanied by abdominal pain, bloating and itching in the anus, it is worth taking feces for the presence of parasites;
- An inflammatory disease such as sinusitis always causes the formation of dark circles in the lower eyelids. They are especially pronounced in the chronic nature of the disease. This pathology is accompanied by pain in the forehead, in the depths of the eyes, sometimes passing to the teeth;
- Hormonal disruptions in the body associated with disruption of the endocrine glands often provoke the appearance of dark circles under the eyes. An accurate diagnosis can only be made after careful research. So, diabetes insipidus is always accompanied by bruises in the periorbital region, severe thirst and increased volume of urine;
Age also causes dark circles under the eyes. This is due to the thinning of both the subcutaneous fat layer and the skin itself. Over time, blood vessels begin to shine through from under it. The structure of the face also changes, the eyes sink deeper into the eye sockets, which creates a visual effect of shadows under them;
- Diseases of internal organs, in particular, liver and heart;
- Exposure to ultraviolet radiation increases skin pigmentation. If in other places its darkening is not so noticeable, then in the area under the eyes they appear more clearly;
- Violation of water balance in the body, the causes of which can be many, ranging from diabetes insipidus to iron deficiency anemia;
- Pollinosis, or a seasonal allergic reaction to pollen;
- Taking medications, in particular, for vasodilation;
- Unbalanced diet, abuse of salt, coffee, spicy foods. This also includes strict diets and drastic weight loss, leading to thinning of the fat layer under the eyes;
- Skin diseases, which include dermatitis and eczema;
- Lack of oxygen or tissue hypoxia. This occurs in diseases of the cardiovascular system, as well as due to pathologies of the lungs;
- Low physical activity leads to lymph congestion, which is manifested by dark circles under the eyes;
- Dark circles under the eyes can result from an injury to the bridge of the nose or the eye itself. Most often they appear from a direct blow, at first they have a dark color, and then brighten over time.
How to remove dark circles under the eyes?
In order to remove dark circles under the eyes, it is important to identify the cause of their occurrence. If the diagnosis itself is not difficult, and a visual inspection is enough to detect this defect, then identifying the cause in some cases is available only to a narrow specialist.
When there is any pathology in the body, the change in skin color cannot be corrected with the help of cosmetic procedures. A thorough medical examination and appropriate treatment are required.
Salon treatments offer the following solutions for dark circles under the eyes:
- Lymphatic drainage, which is a procedure using microcurrents. Thanks to such electrical stimulation, the muscles of the face acquire tone, lymph drainage occurs from the lower eyelid area;
- Laser resurfacing. The problem area is exposed to rays emanating from a special device, due to which the skin acquires a lighter shade. The disadvantage of this method is that one procedure is usually not enough to completely eliminate dark circles under the eyes. And after a certain time, the course must be repeated;
Mesotherapy involves injecting drugs directly under the skin around the eyes. They act on cells, promoting regeneration and metabolic processes. Most often, to eliminate dark circles, funds are used based on embryonic extracts, on plant extracts, on a complex of vitamins and caffeine, on lysine, etc. The effect of mesotherapy lasts for six months or more, depending on the individual characteristics of the skin;
- Lipolifting. A modern popular procedure for removing dark circles under the eyes, which is based on the introduction of the patient's own adipose tissue into the area under the eyes. Fat is most often taken from the thighs. The skin becomes firm and dark circles underneath become invisible. The effect lasts for a long time - up to two years. After that, the procedure will need to be repeated;
- A plastic surgery called blepharoplasty, which is performed by a surgeon and requires general anesthesia. This method allows you not only to get rid of dark circles under the eyes, but also to remove excess fat and skin from the upper and lower eyelids, to rejuvenate the face as a whole.
In order to normalize blood circulation in the area under the eyes, ice cubes can be used. To do this, first freeze the water, it is important that it is purified, you can use mineral water. After waking up, you need to do a light massage with the resulting cubes around the eyes, and then all over the face. Limitations to such a procedure are rosacea and sinusitis. This method allows you to tone the blood vessels, make the skin under the eyes more elastic and elastic. It is important to observe the direction of movement - from the outer corner of the eyes to the inner one. After the procedure, the skin should be moisturized by applying a special cream for the skin around the eyes.
To get rid of dark circles caused by lymph congestion, regular acupressure will work. The direction of movement is the same - from the outer corner of the eye to the inner one. Two minutes is enough to speed up lymph flow and reduce visible dark bags under the eyes.
Contrasting washes are also useful, the difference between the water temperature should be at least 10 ° C. After the procedure, it is recommended to use creams containing vitamins K, A, C, and E, antioxidant complexes.
On the subject: 3 effective methods to get rid of circles under the eyes
In order to prevent the formation of dark circles under the eyes, preventive measures are important. They should include:
A complete rest in suitable conditions. Night sleep should not be disturbed by extraneous sounds and light sources. Its optimal duration for an adult is at least 8 hours;
- Drinking enough water daily. Its volume, excluding teas and juices, must be at least 2 liters;
- Quitting bad habits, such as drinking alcohol and smoking;
- It is important to give your eyes proper rest during long-term work in front of a computer monitor, watching TV and reading books. There should be a break every hour. At this time, it is useful to do eye exercises;
- You should limit the use of sweets. According to the latest WHO recommendations, the daily amount of sugar consumed for an adult should not exceed 6 teaspoons;
- It is important to include in the diet fresh fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and fiber;
- Salt intake should be minimized;
- Before a night's rest, you need to remove all makeup from your face so as not to provoke irritation and allergies;
- As much time as possible should be spent in the fresh air. The bedroom should be regularly ventilated to exclude hypoxia, which provokes the appearance of dark circles under the eyes;
- When choosing cosmetics for face care, preference should be given to those that are natural, age-appropriate and appropriate for the skin type;
- Before leaving the house, especially in summer, you should apply sunscreen to your skin. It is better to wear glasses with dark glasses on your eyes.
Dark circles under the eyes, resulting from a blow, deserve special attention. Their treatment is to apply cold to the affected area as soon as possible after the injury. Better if it is ice wrapped in cloth. In this way, it will be possible to create a spasm in the damaged vessels. As a result of narrowing, blood will be released from them in a smaller volume, which means that the dark circles will be smaller the next day. From a strong blow, the hematoma will still appear, but it will not be so bright.
The next step in treating dark circles caused by stroke is to use ointments to help relieve swelling and relieve pain. For this, tools such as Troxevasin or Heparin ointment are suitable. Iodine mesh is another remedy that helps to quickly dissolve dark circles after a stroke. It is important to remember that on the first day the injured place requires cold, and on all subsequent days - heat.
If the cause of dark circles under the eyes is an allergy, then it is advisable to take antihistamines. However, their selection should be carried out by an allergist. Often they are prescribed in combination with vasoconstrictor drugs. It is important to find out what exactly is causing the allergy. In the event that a reaction has occurred to a cosmetic product, it is enough just to stop using it. If dark circles have arisen as a result of hay fever, then you should limit your time outdoors as much as possible and stay indoors as long as possible with closed windows and air conditioning.
In conclusion, it must be said that getting rid of dark circles with the help of cosmetics is possible only if they are an anatomical feature of a person or the result of banal fatigue, but not when they are caused by a pathological state of the body. The disease must be cured, then the appearance will return to normal.
[Video] Dr. Berg - EYE BAGS: how to clean? What is the cause of the swelling under the eyes?
Author of the article: Alekseeva Maria Yurievna | Therapist
Education: From 2010 to 2016 Practitioner of the therapeutic hospital of the central medical-sanitary unit No. 21, city of elektrostal. Since 2016 she has been working in the diagnostic center No. 3.