Therapeutic exercises for hernia of the cervical spine
A set of exercises for a hernia of the cervical spine
Therapeutic gymnastics is an important component of the therapeutic effect in the treatment of a hernia of the cervical spine.
It allows you to solve a number of significant tasks, including:
- Stretching (or retraction) of the cervical vertebrae, which subsequently will allow to completely or partially release the spinal root from compression. This, in turn, leads to the removal of pain.
- The cartilage and bone tissue of the spine will have an additional opportunity to recharge by improving the blood supply.
- The tone of the muscular corset of the cervical spine will increase, which in turn will make it possible to relieve the increased load from the vertebrae.
- Performing a set of exercises is a preventive measure against the formation of a hernial sac, which is often formed between the connective tissue and the spinal roots.
- Removal of muscle spasm.
- Reduction of inflammation, or its complete elimination.
- Improving mood, well-being and psychosomatic state in general.
Before you start performing a set of exercises, you must familiarize yourself with the rules for its implementation. This will allow you not to harm your own health, and increase the therapeutic effect:
- You can start to start implementing the complex only during the period of remission;
- Self-selection of the complex is unacceptable, a consultation with the attending doctor is required;
- Painful sensations during the execution of the complex are unacceptable, the pain indicates that the exercise is performed incorrectly, or it is generally contraindicated;
- Before starting to perform basic exercises, you must first warm up the muscles;
- You can not skip the execution of the complex, classes must be logged into the system;
- You should be prepared for the fact that the effect of gymnastics is not achieved instantly, this will take time and perseverance.
To relieve pain from the cervical spine, it is most often recommended to perform a set of Mackenzie gymnastic exercises. It allows the discs to be returned to the correct position, at least temporarily.
This will allow you to get rid of pain, increase mobility and reduce pressure on the nerve roots:
- You should lie on your stomach, stretch your arms along the body. In this case, the lower back should not experience tension. It takes a minute to lie like this.
- From the same position, you need to put your hands in front of you with an emphasis on your elbows and forearms. The hips remain flat on the floor and the lumbar region remains relaxed. You need to withstand a minute.
- Now you need to rise with outstretched arms and linger in this position for a minute. The hips remain flat on the floor, and the lower back should not be under tension.
- A pillow is placed under the chest, the patient lies on top. If this position does not cause severe pain, then you need to stay in it for at least 10 minutes. In this case, the hips should not be torn off the surface, and the lower back should not be strained.
- It is necessary to stand up and, holding the lumbar zone with your hands, lean back with the upper part of the body. The minimum exercise time is 20 seconds.
If the exercises according to the Mackenzie method can be performed without much effort, then you can proceed to the implementation of more complex techniques. They are designed to help the long muscles of the neck and head, scalene muscle and sternocleidomastoid muscles acquire elasticity:
- It is necessary to sit with straight shoulders on a chair, then perform smooth head turns in different directions. The amplitude of the turns should be slowly increasing, but not painful. The number of repetitions is 10.
- Remaining sitting on a chair, you will need to gently and slowly tilt your head forward and return it back. Moreover, the closer it is to the subclavian fossa with the chin, the better. It is important to monitor your breathing, lifting the head must be done while inhaling. The number of repetitions is the same as in the previous exercise.
- Without getting up from the chair, you need to inhale and take your head back, while the chin should stretch up. Return the head to the starting position as you exhale. Repeat up to 15 times.
- Pull-ups on the horizontal bar are another way to strengthen the muscle frame. You can start with two rises, in a three-day period you need to add one lift.
- Push-ups are similar in effect to pull-ups. In this case, it is possible for the pelvic part of the body to be pressed to the floor.
- If the pain is localized on one side, it is necessary to put a roller under the head and lie on the side from which there is no discomfort. Maximum unloading allows you to relieve muscle tension and temporarily eliminate the feeling of discomfort.
Video exercise for a hernia of the cervical spine:
In addition to performing a set of exercises at home, patients with a hernia are recommended to visit the pool. This allows you to unload the spine, relieve tension from it. Exercising in the water is a great way to deal with pain, tighten muscles without damaging nerves.
In addition to the Robert Mackenzie complex, the patient may be offered exercise therapy according to Sergei Bubnovsky, which are designed to improve the blood supply to the discs. There are exercises according to the Dikul method, which help to strengthen the muscle corset. However, no matter what complex would be chosen, it is definitely forbidden to jump, jump, use weights. It is not necessary to perform inclinations from a standing position, and transfer the load to the sore side.
The author of the article: Volkov Dmitry Sergeevich | c. m. n. surgeon, phlebologist
Education: Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry (1996). In 2003, he received a diploma from the Educational and Scientific Medical Center of the Presidential Administration of the Russian Federation.