7 day grapefruit diet: pros and cons
For those who want to lose a few extra pounds in a week, the grapefruit diet can be an excellent solution. Although the diet for this method of losing weight is quite varied, it is based on the use of grapefruit and grapefruit juice. With strict adherence to the recommendations, you can easily lose 3-4, or even 6 kilograms of excess weight in 7 days.
The main direction of dietary nutrition according to this method is the correction of the diet and filling the diet with low-calorie foods. Grapefruit reinforces the results obtained, as it is an active fat burner.
- The principles of the grapefruit diet
- 7 days grapefruit diet menu
- Prohibited and permitted foods of the grapefruit diet
- Grapefruit Diet Options
- Pros and cons of the grapefruit diet
- Taking medications and grapefruit
- Reviews and results of those who have lost weight
The principles of the grapefruit diet
Like every weight loss technique, the grapefruit diet has clearly defined principles:
- Salt intake should be limited, food should be undersalted.
- Fatty meats and fish should not be included in the diet. Before cooking, peel off the skin from the chicken, remove excess fat from the meat.
- Sauces, mayonnaise, ketchup and other seasonings are not used to prepare grapefruit diet dishes.
- To maintain water balance, you need to drink at least one and a half liters of liquid per day.
- There should be no large time intervals between meals, maximum 3-4 hours.
- Factory-packed juices are not 100% natural. To achieve the desired effect, you should use freshly squeezed fresh juice, dilute it with water in a 1: 1 ratio.
Video of the features of the grapefruit diet, its benefits for the body, the recommended menu:
7 days grapefruit diet menu
- Breakfast: fresh grapefruit or one fruit, 50 g (2 slices) lean ham, tea or coffee without added sugar.
- Lunch: 1/2 grapefruit, 250 g of salad of herbs and vegetables (dressing - lemon juice with olive oil), unsweetened tea.
- Dinner: 1/2 grapefruit, 150 g of grilled or boiled lean meat, 200 g of salad of herbs and vegetables (dressing - lemon juice with olive oil), unsweetened tea.
- Breakfast: fresh grapefruit or one fruit, 2 hard-boiled eggs, unsweetened green tea or coffee.
- Lunch: 1/2 grapefruit, 150 g of cheese or cottage cheese.
Dinner: 1/2 grapefruit, 200 g of boiled or steamed fish, 250 g of green salad, cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage seasoned with lemon juice and olive oil, black bread, unsweetened green tea.
- Breakfast: fresh grapefruit or one fruit, oatmeal with raisins, nuts, milk or yogurt, or muesli, unsweetened tea or coffee.
- Lunch: 1/2 grapefruit, vegetable soup.
- Dinner: 1/2 grapefruit, 200 g of boiled chicken breast, 2 tomatoes, fresh or baked, unsweetened tea.
- Breakfast: fresh grapefruit or one fruit, one hard-boiled egg, unsweetened tea or coffee.
- Lunch: 1/2 grapefruit, 250 g of carrot and green vegetable salad, seasoned with lemon juice and olive oil, black bread.
- Dinner: 1/2 grapefruit, stewed vegetables (cabbage, zucchini, celery, carrots) unsweetened tea.
- Breakfast: fruit salad of grapefruit, apple, orange, seasoned with yogurt, unsweetened tea or coffee.
- Lunch: 1/2 grapefruit, 200 g of cabbage salad, seasoned with lemon juice and olive oil, baked vegetables.
- Dinner: 1/2 grapefruit, 250 g of boiled fish, lean beef, chicken breast, 200 g of tomato juice.
On Saturday and Sunday you can use the menu of any day.
Prohibited and permitted foods of the grapefruit diet
For the grapefruit diet, a list of recommended and prohibited foods has been developed.
When following a diet, the diet should not include:
- Hot sauces and spices that whet your appetite;
- Fatty meat, fish, lard;
- Pasta, wheat flour products;
- Instant coffee;
- Canned products;
- Carbonated drinks;
- Fried and smoked foods.
- Vegetables, spinach, lettuce;
- Clean water passed through the filter - up to 2 liters;
- Low-fat dairy products;
- Lean meat, lean fish;
- Whole grain bread, bran bread;
- Olive oil or unrefined sunflower oil;
Durum wheat pasta;
- A little honey and dried fruit.
Find out more: Benefits and uses of grapefruit for weight loss and facial skin
Grapefruit Diet Options
There are several varieties of this method of losing weight.
Egg and grapefruit diet
The introduction of chicken eggs into the diet does not reduce the effectiveness of the diet, since the protein product does not allow the feeling of hunger to arise, in combination with grapefruit juice it removes toxins and excess fluid from the body.
There are four and four-day diets. In the first version, you can have breakfast and lunch, snacks consist of grapefruit and dried fruits. In the second version, there are three meals, a larger proportion of potatoes than in the classic presentation. For breakfast and lunch they eat one soft-boiled egg and one grapefruit each, drink a lot of liquid.
Possible breakfast options:
- steam omelet, unsweetened coffee;
- grapefruit, boiled carrots, 2 eggs;
- egg, water with lemon juice;
- grapefruit, 2 eggs, unsweetened green tea;
- grapefruit juice, 2 eggs;
- grapefruit, low-fat cottage cheese (100 g).
What can you cook for lunch:
- 200 g of boiled veal or beef, grapefruit or lemon;
- 160 g of boiled chicken, egg, grapefruit;
- 160 g boiled chicken breast, lettuce;
- 2 grapefruits, 2 boiled chicken eggs.
For dinner they cook:
- 1/2 boiled chicken breast, kefir, orange;
- 200 g of boiled fish, egg;
- 2 eggs, milk, grapefruit.
Curd grapefruit diet
They are used for 3-4 days, since the diet of this diet is quite monotonous - it is recommended to eat 400 g of low-fat cottage cheese and several grapefruits daily. This amount of food is divided into several meals, products can be combined, you can eat separately. It is recommended to drink water, unsweetened tea or coffee.
It is designed for no more than 4 days, since the diet has a low calorie content, although it is rich in calcium. This effective diet can be analogous to fasting days, the benefits of which are known. In addition, during this time the body will draw its energy resources from its own reserves.
To quickly get rid of 3-4 kg, you need to eat 0.5 kg of grapefruits daily, drink 1.5 liters of kefir, without limiting yourself in water.
Express diet for 3 days
This method will help you lose one and a half to two kilograms of excess weight, saturate the body with a supply of vitamin C, and significantly reduce the waist. To do this, you need to add 1/2 grapefruit to each meal. The express diet does not include snacks.
- Breakfast - boiled egg, unsweetened tea or coffee;
- Lunch - 2 boiled eggs, orange fruit (peach, persimmon, apricot, orange);
- Dinner - 1-2 hard-boiled eggs.
Pros and cons of the grapefruit diet
There are positive and negative aspects to each diet. The method of losing weight with grapefruit is no exception.
Negative properties of the diet
Taking medications and grapefruit
Grapefruit juice has a very important feature - it actively interacts with some pharmaceuticals. The enzymes in this citrus fruit block the absorption of the drug by the intestinal walls. As a result of impaired absorption, the expected therapeutic effect will differ significantly from the planned results.
If in doubt, somatic diseases, it is better to consult a doctor before using the diet.
Diseases and conditions for which the grapefruit diet cannot be used:
- Allergy to citrus fruits;
- Increased sensitivity of tooth enamel;
- Gastritis, stomach and intestinal ulcer;
- Increased acidity of gastric juice;
- Taking medications that are not compatible with the action of grapefruit juice, as it increases the absorption capacity of the intestines.
Reviews and results of those who have lost weight
Sunny: Weight is melting before our eyes, the diet is quite reasonable. But there is a significant minus - due to the effect of grapefruit juice, tooth enamel is very deteriorated, teeth begin to hurt.
Victoria: My result is 3 kg lost in a week. Found a diet on the Internet. Before eating, I ate not half, but a quarter of the fruit. During the diet, I did not experience hunger, although I completely removed sweets, flour, fatty, fried foods from the diet. For lunch, barely salad, boiled meat or fish with boiled rice as a side dish, for dinner - vegetable soup. I reduced my weight from 58 to 55 kg, I dream of bringing the result to 50 kg.
Elizabeth: followed the grapefruit diet and was satisfied with the results. There was no feeling of hunger, and I felt quite comfortable. I recommend this method to anyone who wants to lose weight.
Victoria: In my opinion, the usual diet and nothing extraordinary in it. You should not expect an amazing result from its application. My friend tried and skipped about the same as on other popular fast weight loss systems.
Marina: My daily diet included one and a half grapefruits, three boiled yolks, which I ate without salt, kefir, a slice of whole grain bread, a tablespoon of honey. I drank a lot of water, observed the following rules:
- every morning you need to drink a glass of water prepared in advance with honey;
- eat a piece of grapefruit 30 minutes before meals;
- after 7 pm nothing can be eaten.
I followed this tactic for a week. On the first day of the diet, I lost only 200 g, then the process accelerated, and every day my weight decreased by a kilogram. I owe this to the decrease in the volume of food and the diuretic effect of the diet. In addition, I did gymnastics using dumbbells.
The result - 5.5 kg were lost in a week.
The author of the article: Kuzmina Vera Valerievna | Endocrinologist, nutritionist
Education: Diploma of the Russian State Medical University named after NI Pirogov with a degree in General Medicine (2004). Residency at Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry, diploma in Endocrinology (2006).